Partnership with HealthTec® Facilitates Medical Career Opportunities for our Students
The Futures Trust is delighted that President Kennedy School has been chosen by HealthTec® to benefit from their ground breaking hands on immersive scenario-based learning in partnership with the NHS and Public Health England. Our students will work closely with health and social care professionals, bringing learning to life and facilitating an insight into career opportunities with the NHS in both clinical and non-clinical functions.
Clive Dalton, the Strategic Leader of Educational Pathways for Health, is leading the initiative and brokering partnerships with NHS and wider partners. He will work closely with and coordinate initiatives with The Futures Trust’s careers lead.
To date, the benefits for our students include:
- A medical applications day for Year 9 students providing immersive activities and exposure to careers in the NHS through hands-on science which will form part of the new Year 9 options process.
- A Virtual Health Environment available via a new website which will allow students to visit clinical areas in 3D from their classroom or home. Coventry University is supporting this venture with a hospital ward through their simulation suite.
- The delivery of numeracy to Year 7 students attending The Bridge through health days to give relevance to the application of numeracy in the real world.
- 170 students attended a specially convened “Health Conference” supported by Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trusts and Coventry University, who released 12 professionals for the day facilitating eight different sectors: Occupational Therapy, Health Care Assistant, Midwifery and Sonography, Administrative Apprenticeship, Nursing Apprenticeships, Nursing, Mental Health and Community Emergency Response Team.
- Year 12 students have benefited from extensive work experience opportunities and Summer placements through partnership work with Coventry University and Warwickshire County Council.
- Over 100 students will gain access to “Summer School Lite” consisting of two days experience during the Summer holidays in Paramedic science, Dietetics, Occupational Therapy and Nursing.
- Up to 600 places have been secured for trust secondary school students to attend the “UK Aspiring Healthcare Professionals Conference 2019”
President Kennedy School has been chosen as the pioneering institution and it is intended that the model will be replicated across Warwickshire, Hereford and Worcestershire. The school has been invited to present at the next steering group meeting at NHS Hereford and Worcester Strategic Transformation Partnership.